What type of bike carrier can I use?
Suitable bike carriers are generally described as “roof rack bike
- These are bike carriers that are intended to be used on car
roof racks and mount to 2 cross bars.
- Instead of carrying bikes
horizontally on the roof of a car, bikes are carried vertically on the
back door of your van.
Thule and Yakima are the two big brands in the market, but there are others.
When carrying bikes vertically, you should choose a high quality bike
carrier. The weight of the bike may pose a greater
load than if carrying the bike horizontally.
If you are carrying 2 or more bikes, you may need to turn one bike
upside down. Space on the rack is limited and you will probably need to
overlap the handlebars to fit the bikes in. It depends on the type
and size of the bikes you are carrying.
Fork mount bike carriers work best, or a high quality both wheels on type.
If you want to be sure, I can advise if the bike carrier you choose will work with my rack and ladders.
If you already have bike carriers, I can tell you if they will work with my racks and ladders.
Always use an extra ratchet tie down strap(s) to further secure each bike
to the rack. Do not rely on just the bike carrier.
Place and use the straps to accomplish the following:
- If you bike should become detached from the bike carrier, the straps should
prevent the bike from being deposited on the highway.
- Prevent excess movement of the bike on the rack.
Home Vanagon vwrack.com
Home Eurovan evrack.com
Gary Lee, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
phone 403 272 7284
All prices are in US dollars
How to order:
Send me an email
1. Tell me what you are interested in.
2. Tell me where you live
3. Within 24 hours, I will reply with a quote including shipping.
Shipping is about $45 to $95.
4. Payment can be made by Paypal, I will send you a Paypal invoice.
Canadian orders can be by email money transfer.
5. If I do not have something in stock, it usually takes about a week to
Shipping by UPS then takes about a week. It's best to
order at least 2 weeks ahead.
Carry bikes at your own risk. Return rack for refund if you decline.