Front Bike Rack for VW Vanagon
bikes on the front of your van.
- Two round bars plug into receivers bolted to your
van, under the bumper. Bike carriers are mounted to the bars.
- 'Both Wheels On' type bike carriers fit best
on this rack. If using
Fork mount carriers, bikes will stick out past the side of the van.
- The type of bike carrier that you
need to use for this rack need to have adjustable mounting points on both
the front and rear.
You need to be able to center the bike on the front of the van, so that it
does not stick out past the sides.
- Bike carriers are not included. Thule carriers
are shown in the below pictures but Yakima also work well.
- Bike bars unplug from the van when not needed.
Bike carriers can remain mounted to the bars.
- Will not fit on air
- Vans with the original
fiberglass front bumpers will require using a hole saw to make a hole for
the bike bar in the air dam.
- If you have aftermarket
bumpers, they may or may not require modification. You may be able to
tell by referring to the pictures on my web site. Or you can ask me.
- The bike carrier brackets
may not conform exactly to the shape of your van. Manufacturing
tolerances may not have been that consistent for these vans back then.
Just bend the brackets, and bolt up tight.
- The downsides to carrying
bikes on the front:
- Bugs will get on your bikes
- Your headlights may be partially blocked
- When driving off road or crossing ditches, your approach angle is reduced.
- Always use an additional
tie down strap for each bike. Just in case the bike becomes detached
from the rack.
- The total weight being carried should be kept under about 60 lbs. This is for light weight bikes only.
- Installation can be a bit fussy, you should be comfortable will drilling holes and using wrenches.
Vanagon Front Bike Rack $345
Shipping about $45
Gary Lee, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
phone 403 272 7284
How to order:
Send me an email:
1. Tell me what you are interested in.
2. Tell me where you live
3. Within 24 hours, I will reply with a quote including shipping.
Shipping is about $45 to $65.
4. Payment can be made by Paypal, I will send you a Paypal invoice.
Canadian orders can be by email money transfer.
5. If I do not have something in stock, it usually takes about a week to